Published from: HISTORY OF THE STATE OF WASHINGTON, Spencer and Pollard, 1937
Charles conducted an active and successful practice of medicine in the city of Tekoa. He enjoyed an enviable reputation among the leading professional figures of Whitman County and was very active in the social, civic and political affairs of his city and it's environs, being particularly prominent in the Democratic party. His accomplishments and contributions to the well being of his community have gained for him the deep esteem and respect of his colleagues as well as the confidence of the public at large.
Dr. Clizer was born in Latah, Washington January 14, 1888, the son of Benjamin Franklin Clizer and Susan Howell Clizer. Benjamin Franklin Clizer was born in Page County, Virginia in 1847, was raised in Missouri and came to the Washington Territory in 1880, took up a homestead near Latah, operated as a grain-grower and was active in the affairs of his community, having donated the land for the local school and served as a member of the school board. After a general education in the schools of his native state, Dr. Clizer matriculated at Georgetown University, District of Columbia, where he graduated in the class of 1914 with a degree of Doctor of Medicine. He then served an internship at Georgetown University and later returned to Washington state where he completed his final training at the St. Luke's hospital in the city of Spokane. in conjunction with his medical work he also became a licensed chemist and pharmacist, thus completely equipping himself for the successful career he has enjoyed.
During 1915 he came to Tekoa and established himself in general practice. Shortly after settling here he also established the CLIZER HOSPITAL, an eighteen bed institution which he was to conduct until the United States entered the World War. At this time he enlisted in the United States Army Medical Corps, was commissioned a captain in the 348th Machine Gun Battalion of the 91st Division and dispatched overseas, where he served from July 5, 1918 until his return in August, 1919, when he was honorably discharged from the service and became a member of the Medical Reserve Corps. he resumed his professional activities at Tekoa, conducted his hospital for a period and became associated with a medical capacity with the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad and the Tekoa branch of the McGoldrich Lumber Company of Spokane. At his offices on Crosby Street he maintains a dressing clinic and a surgical service. Dr. Clizer is a member of the Whitman County Medical Society, the Washington State Medical Society and the American Medical Association.
He has always felt a deep interest in the affairs of this community, and has been a leader in the Democratic organization and today serves as a member of the executive board of the Whitman County Democratic Committee. He is a member of the post of the American Legion, which he headed as commander between 1933 and 1934 and fraternizes with the Tekoa Blue Lodge of Free and Accepted masons, where he also belongs to the Tekoa Chapter, royal Arch Masons. In addition he is a member of the Phi Chi medical fraternity.
Dr. Clizer married Katherine Power, a native of the state of Michigan and a registered nurse. She is president of the Tekoa Study Club, and a member of the Red Cross Chapter as well as the local Community Chest. She also belongs to the Mother's Club and American legion Auxiliary. Dr. and Mrs. Clizer are the parents of two children, Charles B. Clizer and Mary Susan Clizer.